Department of Electrical Engineering
Ali Fotowat-Ahmady was born in Tehran, Iran, in 1958. He received the B.S. degree from the California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA, USA, in 1980, and the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, in 1982 and 1991, respectively. He started his career at Philips Semiconductor in Sunnyvale, CA, USA, in 1987 where he developed several integrated circuits for mobile phones. In 1991 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Sharif University of Technology, Tehran, Iran. His research interests include advanced integrated circuits for energy savings and communication/positioning applications. Due to his interests in entrepreneurial engineering, he has been the co-founder of several companies and continues advising his students on the same. Dr. Fotowat-Ahmady is a three times recipient of the Kharazmi Science and Engineering Award for his work on low-power microelectronics and communication ICs. He is a member of the IEEE Solid-State Society and has been the adviser of the society's Sharif Electrical Engineering student chapter. He is also a member of the executive committee of the Karaya Angel Fund (An NGO promoting new start-ups).
 Haeri, A. A. R., Karkani, M. G., Sharifkhani, M., Kamarei, M., & Fotowat-Ahmady, A. (2017). "Analysis and design of power harvesting circuits for ultra-low power applications." IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 64(2), 471-479.
 Nikoofard, Ali, Siavash Kananian, and Ali Fotowat-Ahmady. "Off-Resonance Oscillation, Phase Retention, and Orthogonality Modeling in Quadrature Oscillators." IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers 63.6 (2016): 883-894.
 Fatemi, S.M., Sharifkhani, M., Fotowat-Ahmady, A., "A Unified Solution for Super-Regenerative Systems With Application to Correlator-Based UWB Transceivers," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol.62, no.4, pp.1033,1041, April 2015.
- Optical Fiber Communications, Technology, Systems and Circuits Overview, 2012.
- Global Opportunities in MicroElectronics Iranian Opportunities, 2012.
- Efficient utilization of radio spectrum based on DSA, 2011.
- Smart Grid Workshop, 2010.
- WiMax Workshop, 2009
- Ultra-Wideband Technology, 2009.
- WiMax RF Chip Design, 2007.
- FID Reader, Beam-Forming, Digital Assisted RF and Taiwan!, 2007.
- GPS and RFID Ready Chips, 2006.
- World Telecom Technology Status, 2006.
- 3G and WiMax Technologies Comparative Analysis,2006.
- Commercializing Technologies in the developing world (Semiconductor development opportunities), ICT-MICC-2007, May 16, 2007.
Title: RF spectrum analyzer plus
- General chair of 26th Conference of Electrical Engineering (ICEE-2018).
- General chair and Scientific Committee Member of 25th Conference of Electrical Engineering KNTU 2017 (ICEE-2017).
- Second place winner of the 24th Kharazmi International Science award for innovations in the design Gps, and for LED satellites. Feb 2011.
- Third place winner of the 12th Kharazmi International Science
- award for On line monitoring system for production data. Feb 1999.
- Second place winner of the 9th Kharazmi International Science award for innovations in the design of GSM, and DECT RF chips Feb 1996.
- Recognition by the graduating class of 1995 as one of the best EE professors.
- Philips Semiconductor Gold patent of the year award (1995)
- Recognition by the faculty of electrical engineering for outstanding contributions, Sep 1993IEEE member.
- 7th, and 19th rank in two national exams for university entrance out of 350,000 participants in Iran in June 1976.
- B.SC. with Honors from California Institute of Technology,June
- Zahra Atlasbaf, Z. Vahidpour, K. Frorghi, A. Fotowat, "A Fast Frequency Explorer Using Frequency Detector", 1391
- F.Behbahani, A.Fotowat-Ahmady, S.Navid,"Method and apparatus for self-calibration and testing of QPSK Transmitter/receiver IC's", 5,995,541, USA.
- A.Tabatabayi, A.Fotowat-Ahmady, S.Navid,"High-speed/high-slew-rate tri-modal all bipolar buffer/switch and method thereof", 5,892,376, USA.
- F.Behbahani, A.Fotowat-Ahmady, S.Navid,"Quadrature signal generator with spike-less prescalar circuit", 5,808,499, USA.
- A.Fotowat-Ahmady, M.Ali Ahmad, S.Navid,"Dynamic range extension of a log amplifier with temperature and process compensation", 5,790,943, USA.
- F.Behbahani, A.Fotowat-Ahmady, S.Navid,"Comparator with smooth start-up for high frequencies", 5,606,272, USA.
- C.Perspective, S.Navid, A.Fotowat-Ahmady,"IF amplifier/limiter with positive feedback", 5,596,299, USA.
- A.Fotowat-Ahmady, S.Navid,"Low voltage, simplified and temperature compensated logarithmic detector", 5,338,985, USA.
- Interview with a Radio Program Named Question (Microelectronics now and future)
- Paper: the difference between chip & chips, the plan of supporting cutting edge technologies through industry and mine support budget (Industry week 1391)
- A brief of Mobile Networks Communications (Mehr 1387)
- Entrepreneur Generation Article (published in Bolton ACRI and general fall newspapers 1387)
- Holidays Adoration Article (Published in Hamshahri newspaper 20 Aban, 1385)